POP: Gravel Allocation From Crown Lands

POP: Yes
Res #: POP 8-02M
Number: 8
Year: 2002
Midterm: Yes
Expired: Yes
Responses Received: No
Departments: Saskatchewan Highways & Transportation

Point of Privilege Resolution No. 8-02M

WHEREAS, gravel is a non renewable resource that is an essential tool for municipalities, Saskatchewan Highways and industry; and

WHEREAS, Saskatchewan Highways has the right of refusal on all new gravel lease applications and has exercised that right leaving municipalities and industry unsure of their resource;

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that SARM, on behalf of all municipalities, speak with Saskatchewan Highways and Saskatchewan Environment so that dialogue between municipalities, Saskatchewan Environment, Highways,and Industry be initiated so as to result in a fair solution where all interested parties' needs may be met.

Response From Harvey G. Brooks, Deputy Minister, Saskatchewan Highways and Transportation:

The management of gravel resources on all Crown land is done by Saskatchewan Environment (SE) and Saskatchewan Agriculture, Food and Rural Revitalization (SAFRR). SE manages sand, gravel exploration, extraction and reclamation on Crown resource land. Crown resource land includes the entire Northern Administration District (NAD), provincial forests, and Wildlife Development Fund lands, but excludes Provincial Park land. SAFFR manages gravel resources in the southern portion of the province on Crown lands other than Crown resources manages by SE.

Saskatchewan Highways and Transportation has first right to access, test and remove gravel from Crown land. When assessing gravel management the department considers the needs of other users including the options of allowing RM leases or usage permits from deportment pits.

We would be pleased to further discuss the resolution regarding rural municipalities having greater access to gravel resources on Crown land. Mr. Terry Blomme, Executive Director, Southern Region, will be the department contact at 306-787-4973. A meeting with your representatives can be arranged at your convenience.