Home » Services » Community Planning

Community Planning Services

SARM employs Registered Professional Planners (RPP) who are full members of the Canadian Institute of Planners (MCIP).  SARM’s planners provide advice and support to municipalities on the preparation of planning documents as well as on a variety of planning and land use topics.  The following is a list of services SARM’s planners can help your municipality with:

  • Official Community Plan
    The Official Community Plan (OCP) provides guidance for the physical, environmental, economic, social and cultural aspects of a community. It provides a framework of goals, objectives and policies to guide Council, Administration, developers, and the public on the growth and development of the municipality. SARM’s planners can help create a new OCP, update current plans, prepare amendments, or prepare bylaw consolidations.
  • Zoning Bylaw
    The Zoning Bylaw provides regulations to implement the policies contained within the Official Community Plan. The purpose of a Zoning Bylaw is to provide for appropriate land uses in order to minimize land use conflicts, set standards for the use and subdivision of land, and help manage the supply of municipal services and resources to new development. SARM’s planners can help create new Zoning Bylaws, update current bylaws, prepare amendments, or prepare bylaw consolidations.
  • Interim Development Control Bylaw
    The Interim Development Control Bylaw (IDCB) provides temporary control of land uses while the municipality undertakes the task of developing and implementing an Official Community Plan and Zoning Bylaw. SARM planners can work with the municipality to prepare an Interim Development Control Bylaw.
  • Subdivision Application Review
    The Ministry of Government Relations – Community Planning Branch is the approving authority for all subdivisions in Rural Municipalities. The municipality plays a role in the process by outlining policies and regulations for subdivision in their Official Community Plan and Zoning Bylaw. A servicing agreement can be required to ensure the servicing of the subdivision is to municipal standards and the municipality will not incur all servicing costs.  SARM’s planners can help review subdivision referrals and provide guidance on servicing agreements.
  • Development Permits
    If a municipality has a Zoning Bylaw, the way to approve development is through the development permit process. SARM’s planners can review development permit applications to ensure applications are consistent with municipal policies and regulations.
  • Miscellaneous Planning Inquiries and Assistance
    SARM Planners will work with your municipality and assist with any planning and development questions or issues. If SARM planners are not able to answer your inquiry directly, we’ll help find the right person for you to talk to.

SARM Community Planning Services works on a fee for service basis. 

Community Planning Links


Jennifer Chamberlin, Manager, Community Planning
jchamberlin@sarm.ca or 306.761.3723

The contents of this site are for information purposes. Users are advised to refer to the Planning and Development Act, 2007 and consult a professional community planner for specific questions and concerns.