Municipal Revenue Sharing – Targeted Sector Support
Municipal Revenue Sharing is an integral part of strengthening municipalities across rural Saskatchewan. Funding such as the Targeted Sector Support (TSS) Initiative helps to support inter-municipal cooperation resulting in more effective community governance.
The TSS Initiative is a cost-shared grant program that uses a portion of Municipal Revenue Sharing ($1.5 million per fiscal year) to support municipalities on projects that focus on partnerships, planning and collaboration. Projects are offered 75 per cent of the project’s eligible costs to a maximum amount.
The TSS Steering Committee will be accepting applications for funding from October 3, 2023, to November 30, 2023.
To help prepare, applying municipalities are encouraged to:
- Ensure they have at least one community partner.
- Obtain a formal letter of support from council with a resolution number.
- Obtain a formal quote from an independent supplier(s).
Additional information will be available on saskatchewan.ca when the application intake is open.
Saskatchewan Crime Watch Advisory Network
The RCMP, Saskatchewan Government, SARM, SUMA and the FSIN came together to support the development of the Saskatchewan Crime Watch Advisory Network. It is a mass notification system that allows users to get information about criminal activity in their area directly from the RCMP. RCMP detachment commanders will use the Saskatchewan Crime Watch Advisory Network to send text messages, emails or phone calls to residents. People can sign up and choose how they would like to get these advisories. Visit www.saskcrimewatch.ca to sign up.
Community Safety Officer Program
Saskatchewan’s community safety officer program is an option for municipalities looking for bylaw enforcment and low-risk policng needs which frees up police time to deal with more serious crimes.
Saskatchewan Crime Stoppers
Saskatchewan Crime Stoppers is a community based program which encourages public participation through anonymity and which effectively and efficiently combines the efforts of the public, media, and police to solve crime and make our communities crime free environments. A non-profit organization funded by contributions from urban and rural municipalities, individuals, small businesses, major corporations, and community service clubs, Saskatchewan Crime Stoppers offers cash rewards to tips that assist in solving a crime. Visit www.saskcrimestoppers.com to submit a tip or to donate.
Provincial Traffic Safety Fund Grant Program
The program provides up to $100,000 (per location) to municipalities and Indigenous land or territories. The goal of this fund is to stimulate and support local, collaborative action that will increase traffic safety awareness and reduce the frequency and severity of traffic injuries and fatalities within Saskatchewan.
The program began in 2019 and uses funds from photo speed enforcement tickets.
Up to $100,000 per location.
Note: If approved, 90% of the project funding will be provided up front, with the remaining funds (up to 10%) provided once the project is complete and the applicant submits their final report, including paid invoices.
Applicants must represent 1 of the following:
- a municipality (urban or rural)
- Indigenous land or territory
Smaller communities, such as organized hamlets, are also eligible to apply for grants. However, they must have a municipal corporate account to accept funding, if awarded. If they don’t have a municipal account, their municipality/ or Indigenous land/territory must apply on their behalf.
Applicants are required to provide a proposed budget for their project, which includes a breakdown between the grant amount and other financial or in-kind support. Vendor quotes outlining all project costs are also required.
- Direct project costs associated with the development, construction and delivery of projects, programs and public awareness. Costs such as phone, postage etc., along with costs for renting needed equipment or space are discouraged in favour of obtaining in-kind donations.
- Capital equipment costs only if necessary to the project and if renting or in-kind donations are not feasible or reasonable.
- Personnel costs such as contract fees, salaries and benefits necessary for development, implementation, delivery and evaluation of the project.
- Reasonable costs associated with completing the final project report should be included in the overall budget.