Noxious Weed Act

Res #: 1-21M
Number: 1
Year: 2021
Midterm: Yes
Expired: No
Responses Received: Yes
Departments: Saskatchewan Ministry of Agriculture

WHEREAS prohibited, noxious and nuisance weed management is a major concern for farmers and rural municipalities; and
WHEREAS many rural municipalities (and producers) incur significant expenses to control the spread of weeds, including the cost of contracting a weed inspector and application of the chemical; and
WHEREAS the issue with these weeds is sometimes more prevalent on organic farms; and
WHEREAS if the weed inspector is not getting co-operation from the organic producer in managing weeds, the inspector can lodge a complaint with the certifying body and the complaint must be dealt with before certification of the crop can take place; and
WHEREAS some certification bodies are more diligent than others; in many cases, years may pass before the certification body responds.
BE IT RESOLVED that SARM lobby the Ministry of Agriculture to amend the legislation to require, that when the Municipality receives a signed letter of complaint regarding an infestation of prohibited, noxious and nuisance weeds on organic lands, the municipality shall notify the certification body to immediately inspect the lands and require the producer to take action to prevent the spread of the weeds.

Responses From: Saskatchewan Ministry of Agriculture

February 22, 2022

Resolution 1-21M regarding The Weed Control Act, it is the role of the municipal weed inspector to enforce the provisions of The Weed Control Act within the municipality in which they are appointed. The role of the organic certification body is to ensure that farm production practices align to the national organic standard. On occasion it may be helpful to notify the organic certification body of these concerns so they may be able to provide additional assistance in specific cases, but they should not replace the efforts of the weed inspector. A formal written complaint is not required to enforce control of prohibited and noxious weeds as the weed inspector has the authority to enforce control of these weeds in the absence of a complaint. A complaint is required for nuisance weeds.

Hon. David Marit – Minister of Agriculture