PLANT HEALTH OFFICER (6 positions) - SARM
Date Posted: April 11, 2018
The Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities (SARM) would like to invite all those qualified and interested in becoming one of SARM’s six Plant Health Officers (PHO) to express an interest.
- There will be one PHO position for each of SARM’s six Divisions. (See link to SARM Divisions: https://sarm.ca/about-sarm/members).
- Please indicate your preference of Division when making a submission.
- These positions will report to SARM and be secured as a contract from June 1, 2018 to March 31, 2019; with the potential to renew on an annual basis.
- Candidates must be a licenced Professional Agrologist or be eligible to apply for a licence and registered with the Saskatchewan Institute of Agrologists as well as be legally able to work in Canada.
You will have knowledge of:
- fundamental principles of integrated pest management, plant diseases, insects, weeds and vertebrate pests including terminologies, applied methodologies and identification procedures;
- minor use pesticides program and the Pest Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA);
- crop pest survey and methodology; and
- prairie agriculture crop production systems.
You will have the demonstrated ability to:
- identify, interpret and transfer accurate, relevant, impartial information related to pest management to rural municipalities, agriculture producers, industry and colleagues;
- identify and analyze crop pest issues and interests to develop viable options, acceptable explanations and/or workable solutions;
- interact with internal and external clients to establish and maintain workable relationships built on trust and respect.
- possess effective communication and writing abilities.
- work independently and as a team member with colleagues, agencies and others to meet program and client needs;
- prioritize and accurately complete tasks within established timelines in a multi-task environment; and
- access, retrieve, input and process information using various electronic systems in an accurate and timely manner.
PHO’s will develop, promote and implement best practices within their SARM Division to proactively identify, monitor and control invasive/emerging threats to plant biosecurity in agriculture with the goal of developing more comprehensive control strategies. The scope of their work will include prohibited/noxious weeds, clubroot, Norway Rat, problem Beaver and other pests declared/designated under the Saskatchewan Pest Control Act and Weed Control Act.
These positions within each SARM Division will undertake 3 main roles:
- Educate Saskatchewan Rural Municipalities (RMs) on how best to undertake duties required of them via the Saskatchewan Pest Control Act and Weed Control Act.
- Enhance communication materials to ensure RMs and landowners/ratepayers are aware of their duties via the pest and weed control legislation.
- Assist in developing templates for RMs (ie. RM Bylaws, rate payer communication letters).
- The Saskatchewan Minister of Agriculture will appoint the PHO under the Pest Control Act as the Appointed Pest Control Officer (PCO) for the Division to ensure clubroot is effectively and consistently managed.
- The PHO may be asked to fill in for PCO and/or Weed Inspector (WI) vacancies at the RM level within their SARM Division.
- Provide education, training and support for Appointed PCOs and WI to ensure a more proactive and consistent approach to monitoring and control of all regulated agricultural crop pests/prohibited/noxious weeds across the province.
- Under the guidance of the Saskatchewan Ministry of Agriculture (SMA) Crop Specialists monitor, survey and report on pests/prohibited/noxious weeds occurrences.
- Coordinate and participate in pest/plant surveys within the Division as required by SMA.
- Collect data back from PCO/Weed Inspectors appointed by RMs regarding pests/plants.
- PHOs work together with SMA to develop best practices to be promoted provincially.
- Monitor and organize the redistribution of biological control agents within the Division where they are appropriate to use.
- Contract seasonal staff to assist with duties required.
Please send your expression of interest and resume by end of day April 27, 2018 to Annette Ellert, SARM Agriculture Programs Manager, by fax (306-565-2141, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to 2301 Windsor Park Road, Regina, SK S4V 3A4.
SOFTWARE SUPPORT TECHNICIAN - MuniSoft
Date Posted: April 09, 2018
Are you customer service oriented, with exceptional communication skills? Do you have a passion for solving problems and helping people? Can you maintain a positive and professional attitude even while working in challenging and sometimes stressful situations?
If the answer is yes, MuniSoft may have a spot for you! We are searching for those special few who will take on challenges and turn them into opportunities. People who are naturally proactive and have a desire to help local communities by supporting small municipalities with their software needs.
Our team of Software Support Technicians provide support for the applications we develop and install in municipal government offices across Canada. Members of our support team are also encouraged to diversify their positions by training, creating website content or working with other departments. These additional tasks are usually taken on after approximately 2 years of internal training.
This is a full-time, permanent position. Hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30am – 5:00pm, with an immediate start date. Although our preference is to have you work from one of our branch offices, we are open to making concessions for the right candidate if suitable home office conditions exist.
- Providing front line software support to our municipal clients
- Updating internal systems with concise, timely and accurate information regarding client calls and email correspondence
- Providing feedback, direction and assistance to other MuniSoft staff regarding the software’s functionality and user interface design
- Creating documents and providing data to support client-requested changes to the software
- Leading online training to small groups of clients
- Providing assistance to our software Quality Assurance department as time permits
- Solid understanding of basic accounting principles and concepts
- Bookkeeping experience
- Ability to excel in a fast paced, time sensitive position
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including a pleasant professional phone manner
- High level of comfort working with computers and using a variety of software programs
- Proven problem solving and multi-tasking abilities
- Periodic travel for onsite training, conventions or staff meetings
Note: MuniSoft’s Annual General Meeting is held in Regina, SK. All staff are required to attend, the date is typically announced 10 months in advance.
- Experience working in a municipal office as a financial clerk or administrator
- Prior training experience
- Salary range is $38,000 - 43,000/yr based on applicable experience
Top reasons to become part of the MuniSoft family:
- Generous benefits package:
- Extended Health/Dental (cost-shared plan between employees and MuniSoft)
- Three weeks paid vacation
- Six paid sick days
- 3 Personal Leave Days
- 12 paid stat holidays
- RRSP contributions
- Ongoing training. At MuniSoft you can expect to receive various opportunities not just for your initial training but for continuous ongoing training throughout your career.
- We’re here to stay. We’ve been providing computer software and hardware solutions for over 30 years; and are growing stronger with each year. We have over 700 municipal clients across Canada.
- Our clients love us. We have a solid reputation for creating easy to use, full featured software, backed by unparalleled support services. Our clients love that we care so much about them!
- Nationwide. We serve clients from our head office in Regina, SK, a branch office in Kingston, ON and multiple home offices throughout the country.
- Paid birthday off. Yes, you read that right. At MuniSoft we give you the best present you could ask for (after one year of service) – your birthday off WITH pay!
- We value your time. Overtime is rarely required at MuniSoft. We also approve flex-time for senior and proven staff.
To be considered for this position please forward your resume and cover letter stating relevant experience and skills to our General Manager, Nicole Andrew.
Mail: MuniSoft, 1834 McAra Street, Regina, SK S4N 5C4
Visit www.munisoft.ca to learn more about MuniSoft, the clear leader in local government software solutions.
PART-TIME OFFICE ASSISTANT/CLERK - R.M. of Dundurn No. 314
Date Posted: April 05, 2018
The R.M. of Dundurn No. 314 is accepting applications for the position of part time Office Assistant/Clerk preference will be given to applicants enrolled or interested in taking the LGA Program. Primary responsibilities may include: Front line support to the public and providing administrative support.
Send resumes to the RM of Dundurn No. 314 prior to May 4th, 2018 by the following:
We thank all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
GRADER OPERATOR - R.M. of Carmichael No. 109
Date Posted: March 26, 2018
The R.M. of Carmichael No. 109 is accepting applications for the position of a full time permanent or seasonal Grader Operator to start tentatively in May 2018.
- Offers benefits and pension for permanent employees
- Experience is an asset
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Salary to be negotiated based on experience
- Start date and position type to be negotiated based on individual applicant
Send resume stating experience, preference for permanent or seasonal, and references by 4:00 pm April 10th, 2018 to:
The R.M. of Carmichael No. 109 Box 420 Gull Lake, SK S0N 1A0
SEASONAL MOWER OPERATOR - R.M. of Star City No. 428
Date Posted: March 21, 2018
The RM of Star City No. 428 is now accepting applications for the position of full-time Seasonal Tractor and Mower Operator. Work to commence on or around June 4th, 2018 and work conclusion is when all the RM ditches are cut by late October.
The successful applicant must be self-motivated, able and willing to put in extended days (up to 60 hours per week may be required) in order to get the job done. Time off is on Sundays and when mowing conditions are unsatisfactory. Based on previous years the total hours of work are estimated to be around 1,000.
The municipality has newer equipment and offers competitive hourly wages based on earlier work experience. Preference will be given to applicants who have had previous mower operating experience or are able to run a tractor and mower with the lowest possible supervision. General mechanical ability, maintenance experience and prior safety training is an asset. A valid driver's license and a reliable vehicle are required. The successful candidate will work under the direction of the RM Foreman. Duties to include but are not limited to:
- Mowing ditches and rock picking
- Equipment maintenance and repair
Position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. We thank all of the applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All interested individuals should submit their resume including prior training and work experience, wage expectations, and three work related references, Current Driver's Abstract and Criminal Record Check by 3:00 p.m. on May 4th, 2018.
RM of Star City No. 428
300 4th Street, Box 370
Star City, Sask. S0E 1P0
ADMINISTRATOR - R.M. of Happyland No. 231 & R.M. of Deer Forks No. 232
Date Posted: March 20, 2018
The Rural Municipalities of Happyland No. 231 & Deer Forks No. 232 invites applications for a qualified administrator due to the retirement of the current administrator. Expected start date is July 2, 2018, but negotiable.
This is a joint administrator position with separate municipal offices located in the Town of Leader on Highway #21 & 32 & Town of Burstall on Highway 321 and is surrounded by the scenic Great Sandhills and Riverhills of the South Saskatchewan River.
Under the authority and direction of Council, the administrator is responsible for the effective implementation of all operations in accordance with policies and bylaws established by council and provincial legislation.
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following qualifications and skills:
1) Rural Class ‘C’ (or higher) Certificate in Local Government Administration but other combinations of experience and education will be considered, Degree in Commerce, Administration, Business Administration or Public Administration.
2) Experience with budgeting, financial operations, assessment, taxation and general office management and knowledge of Munisoft computer system.
3) Strong public relations, time management, communication, organizational & critical thinking skills.
This full time permanent position offers a very competitive salary in the salary range of $75,000 to $140,000/year in accordance with qualifications and experience. The R.M. also offers a moving allowance and comprehensive benefits package and pension plan.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a current criminal records check, a cover letter and detailed resume, including qualifications, past & present work experience, salary expected and three work related references by 4:00 p.m. May 1, 2018.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For further information regarding this career opportunity, you can contact Timothy Geiger, Reeve of R.M. of Happyland No. 231.
Box 339, Leader Sk. S0N 1H0
Municipal Office 306-628-3800
ADMINISTRATOR - R.M. of Redberry No. 435
Date Posted: February 23, 2018
Due to retirement, the Rural Municipality of Redberry No. 435 is accepting applications for a qualified Administrator with a start date in 2018. Flexibility will be considered for the start date.
The Administrator will be responsible to council for all operations of the municipality in accordance with policies established by council and the Municipalities Act and Regulations.
Applicants shall possess excellent communication, critical thinking, public relations and time management skills and can work under strict timelines. The position requires minimum “Class C” certificate. Experience with Munisoft software is an asset.
The office is located at Hafford, Saskatchewan with accommodations available in the community.
The R.M. offers a competitive salary based on RMAA salary schedule and provides SARM benefits package. The salary range is dependent upon experience and qualifications of the successful applicant.
Interested candidates please submit a detailed resume including qualifications, past and present work experience, salary expectations and three work related references. A current criminal records check must accompany your application. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
We thank all applicants, buy only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
R.M. of Redberry No. 435
Phone: 306-549-2333 or Fax: 306-549-2435