Subsidization of Recreation Facilities

Res #: 33-03A
Number: 33
Year: 2003
Midterm: No
Expired: Yes
Responses Received: No
Departments: Saskatchewan Culture, Youth and Recreation

Resolution No. 33-03A

WHEREAS, our arenas and curling rinks are the heart of our communities in the winter; and

WHEREAS, the cost to keep these facilities in operating order is bringing financial hardship to our communities; and WHEREAS, our Provincial Government controls the cost of power and natural gas;

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that SARM lobby the Provincial Government to subsidize these facilities before they too disappear from our landscape, as was the fate of our country elevators.

Response from the Honourable Joanne Crofford, Minister of Culture, Youth and Recreation:

The Province of Saskatchewan values the importance of recreation facilities in our communities and is aware of the many benefits they provide. The Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation does not currently have programs that provide assistance for the operational costs of recreational facilities. However, the Saskatchewan Lotteries Community Grant Program is available to all Saskatchewan municipalities and First Nations bands. Operational costs of facilities that are directly related to any approved project are covered up to 25 per cent of the total project cost, to a maximum of $500.

You can find more information about this grant program from the Saskatchewan Sport Inc. web site at and click on the "Saskatchewan Lotteries" navigation button. As well, Culture, Youth and Recreation is working with the Board of Trustees of the Community Initiatives Fund (CIF) to identify potential funding options for the future development of a facilities grant program that could assist with construction or renovation cost. In addition, I am advised that technical assistance is available to communities looking for ways of addressing facility energy and operating costs. You may wish to contact the Saskatchewan Recreation Facilities Association on Regina at (306) 522-4461, or the Office of Energy Conservation at (306) 787-9351 for further information.