Ducks Unlimited Canada Lands
Res #: 27-23A
Responses Received: Yes
Departments: Environment and Climate Change Canada
WHEREAS Ducks Unlimited Canada is not an agricultural Producer.
WHEREAS Ducks Unlimited Canada’s main source of income is not agriculture related.
WHEREAS Ducks Unlimited Canada has benefited from agricultural property classification.
BE IT RESOLVED that SARM lobby the provincial government to change the classification of land owned by Ducks
Unlimited Canada and similar organizations to a commercial land classification.
Responses From: Saskatchewan Ministry of Government Relations
May 31, 2023
- The entity that owns a property does not affect the property tax classification of the land.
- The conservation lands would not be zoned commercial and thus would not be commercial Private conservation agencies can put conservation easements on land; this does not affect the parcel’s assessment. Land management is up to the landowner and does not affect property assessment. An example would be the management of noxious weeds.
- Ducks Unlimited Canada’s goal is to conserve, restore and manage wetlands and grasslands to benefit waterfowl, wildlife, and people to ensure abundant wetlands and waterfowl for generations to come while improving Canadian lives.
- Ducks Unlimited Canada operates programs that restores wetlands in agricultural areas. These lands would be assessed based on their productive capacity and would be arable or non -arable tax class. The ministry understands that land covered by a Ducks Unlimited conservation easement cannot be developed for commercial or residential property in the It is attached to the land title and applies to all future landowners.
- Municipalities should work with Ducks Unlimited regarding any concerns about land management practices.
The Honourable Don McMorris – Minister of Government Relations, Government of Saskatchewan