PDAP Funding for Equipment and Operators
Number: POP 1- 14M
Department: Saskatchewan Ministry of Government Relations
WHEREAS PDAP rules do not allow for RM equipment and operators to be used towards PDAP projects resulting in time delays and much added expense to the PDAP program;
BE IT RESOLVED that SARM lobby the Province of Saskatchewan – Provincial Disaster Assistance Program (PDAP) to allow RMs to use their own men and equipment for PDAP projects and be allowed to claim the expense for the equipment and the operators.
MINISTRY OF GOVERNMENT RELATIONS' RESPONSE
- Government is committed to promoting the use of municipal staff and owned equipment during disasters.
- PDAP remains in alignment with the federal Disaster Financial Assistance Arrangements (DFAA) in order to provide fair and consistent cost recovery for claimants, while ensuring maximum cost recovery for the province.
- RM's are currently permitted to utilize their own staff and equipment with cost recovery provided for:
- Staff expenses beyond regularly scheduled work hours; and
- Owned equipment expenses for all disaster-related working hours at rates defined under the PDAP Guidelines.
- RM's are also able to submit eligible expenses for additional staff and/or other resources required to supplement or backfill local resources that have been re assigned to disaster response or recovery operations. (i.e. if temporary staff/equipment have to be hired to maintain other essential operations)
- The Province submitted a formal request to the federal government in 2013, requesting a Saskatchewan-based funding formula, which would increase the amount of support for the use of municipal owned equipment. The federal government has denied the provincial request, pending the outcome of the development of the National Disaster Mitigation Plan and the subsequent review of the federal Disaster Financial Assistance Arrangements in 2015.