President Ray Orb
Ray was born in Regina and was raised on a farm in the Markinch district. He completed his secondary education at Robert Southey school and upon graduation was employed at the Consumers' Cooperative Refinery in Regina from 1969 to 1977 during which time he farmed part-time.
In 1978 his family moved to Cupar where he began full-time farming and operated a mixed farm with his wife Val for many years.
In 1985 Ray decided to enter the world of municipal politics. He was elected as a councillor in the Rural Municipality of Cupar and then Reeve in 1995, a position he currently holds.
He was both a Director and President of the Regina District Association of Rural Municipalities for several years. He was elected as SARM Director for Division 2 in 2004 and as Vice-President in 2010. In 2014, Ray was elected as President of SARM.
Ray represents SARM on the following committees:
- Audit Committee
- Community Safety Officer Program
- Federation of Canadian Municipalities
- Fire Protection Working Group
- Municipal Forum
- Municipal Sector Strategic Plan
- Policy Governance Committee
- Public Industry Partnership Program Oversight Committee
- Potash Tax Sharing Administration Board
- Rural Municipal Administrators' Association Board
- SARM Agriculture Committee
- SARM Building Committee
- SARM Environment Committee
- Staff Relations Committee
- Task Force on Policing and the Administration of Justice
- TransCanada Trail Advisory Committee
- Western Canada Municipal Organization (WCMO)
Ray also sits on three Federation of Canadian Municipalities committees including being Chair of the Rural Forum and is a member of the National Municipal Rail Safety working group.
Ray has completed training throught the Municipal Leadership Development Program and the Pacific Institute. He received governance training through the Rotman's School of Management at the University of Toronto and Johnson-Shoyama Graduate School of Public Policy at the University of Regina.
Ray and his wife Val have raised three children, Chelsey, Jocelyn and Jerod and are proud grandparents of two grandsons and one grand-daughter.